Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Author's Note

 My life is a series of stories that I am able to share independently. My sister, who has Angelman Syndrome, is severely cognitively disabled and nonverbal. She cannot tell her own story. If not for her loved ones, she, like so many others with disabilities, would disappear from history. 

I have always had a love of history. It helps me make sense of the world. My analytical brain looks for the patterns of the past in the (vain) hopes of figuring out what the future may hold. Yet the history we learn overlooks so many - we do not learn the stories of those who were not able to share them. Disability has shaped my life irrevocably. What about all of the other lives who were influenced by disability? Where are their stories?

I am writing this blog for my own personal enjoyment. I show my love by sharing knowledge and stories with others. As often as I am able, I will share interesting stories of disability throughout history in hopes that someone may share them with others.

Most sincerely yours,

Clem


My (much beloved) big sister and me
Image Description for Accessibility: Clem and her older sister, both young white women with brown ponytails, are cuddled on the couch. Both are wearing Green Bay Packers t-shirts and smiling broadly.